There is no doubt that the festive season has arrived. If you go around Singapore, you will see the lights and you will feel the joy. This is indeed the season to be jolly. Festive season brings two challenges for you – presents and food. For presents, it can easily be remedied because discounts and sales are everywhere.
The real challenge will be the food especially if you are on a diet. There are people that suspend their diet efforts during the festive season so they can totally enjoy it but if you are strictly following your diet no matter what, you have to know that there are nutritious vegetables and fruits you can eat without worrying about adding few pounds.
Here are some nutritious vegetables and fruits that you can consider for the festive season:
- Avocado: Avocado is a pear-shaped fruit with a dark colour. Many people consider this because it is a good source of potassium and fibre. You can eat it plain or you can make a guacamole and whip it on your burgers, salads and sandwiches.
- Cherries: Cherries are small and luscious. Cherries are a good source of antioxidant. Antioxidants can make miracles. If you do not want to eat it plain, you can make a salsa and mix it on your grilled chicken.
- Corn: Corn is a good source of vitamins such as vitamin C, folic acid and niacin. You can boil it and eat it plain or you can put some butter to add taste. No matter how you eat it, you will still get the vitamins.
- String beans: String beans or green beans are a good source of calcium. It does not end there because string beans are also famous because they are low in calories. If you cook string beans, some of the nutrients are removed so it is better to eat them raw. Try it.
- Lime: Lime is a common alternative for lemon. Lime is an excellent source of vitamin C. You can make sauces and dressings out of lime.
- Mangoes: Mangoes are present in most occasions here in Singapore. This fruit is juicy and sweet. You can eat it plain. You can also make a dessert out of it. If you want a drink, it can be made into a juice or a shake. You can make a lot of things with mango. The important thing is it helps reduce body fat.
- Watermelon: Watermelon will make sure that you are hydrated at all times. It is an excellent source of water and vitamin A which helps preserve eye health.